7/3/17

Alfredo Chicken Pie




So I'm just an okay cook. Some weeks I think everything I make is bomb, others it's all too experimental and verging on gross ;). For some reason there's this mental block that if a recipe is simple or has less than 5 spices it's going to taste bland. (Even though that's not true.) Anyway, I'm okay at cooking. BUT.

I suck at baking. 

Like literally I don't know the last time I made a cake that didn't sink in or completely stick to the pan. I always under-bake banana bread. Dinner rolls are always doughy.

Hence the cookies on this blog must be pretty darn easy and good if they are going to pass my destructive skills! I can throw together a few simple cookie recipes and that's about it.

I say all this so you're a little impressed when I tell you - I MADE A PIE! From scratch! And it was edible!

I was pretty proud of myself, can you tell? ;)

It took a little extra effort and lot of love but it actually turned out awesome.

And please excuse my creepy/moody pictures. Weird afternoon lighting and an impatient photographer.

So as you're making the dough, I guess the key is to keep everything cold! I froze my butter and then grated it to keep it cool as opposed to cutting it into the flour mixture with knives. 

A million little butter shreds. Did I mention this recipe is calorie-free?

Refrigeration and filling break.

And voila!

We copied Crust Club on this one and went for an alfredo chicken and broccoli filling. But seriously any filling would be amazing with this crust! Savory, sweet, little hand pies, go for it.

I think another key to pies I've been missing is the quantity - to give it that awesome shape you've gotta load in the filling! 

SO YUMMY.

Alfredo Chicken Pie

Pie Crust 

Ingredients: 
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c butter, frozen
- 1/2 c ice water

Directions:
- In large bowl, combine flour and salt
- Shred butter with cheese grater (working quickly)
- Combine butter with flour mixture until it resembles course crumbles
- Stir in ice water, 1 TB at a time, till mixture forms ball (amount of water will vary)
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Divide into 2 balls
- Roll out and press 1/2 into pie plate, the other half save as the top crust 
- Bake bottom crust in oven at 350* for 8 minutes

Filling

Ingredients: 
- cooked and shredded chicken
- steamed broccoli 
- cooked ziti pasta (al dente)
- jar of alfredo sauce
- pepper
- nutmeg

Directions: 
- Combine chicken, broccoli, pasta and alfredo sauce in a big bowl!
- Add a sprinkle of pepper and nutmeg 
- Pour filling into par-baked bottom crust
- The higher the better! 
- Place top crust over the filling, pinch edges and cut dashes on top
- Bake for 35-50 min at 350*
- Enjoy!


Recipes adapted slightly from here and here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Make my day! Leave a comment :)

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016