3/23/17

Answers

Sorry for being all Debbie Downer in that last post. I really was at my wit's end and thought I was going to go crazy from the lack of sleep and stress of a baby who wouldn't eat. I broke down in tears at least a few times every day, and felt so alone since I only see Michael for an hour or so every day.

(This is my "trying to smile but really I'm drained" face from three days ago ^^^.)

But things are so much better now!!!! I am so grateful for my awesome doctor who totally helped us solve some issues. So in case anyone is struggling with similar symptoms (see my last two posts), here's what's been working: 

For starters, Cannon has reflux. He was arching his back in pain a few minutes into eating, I could see the milk coming back up and into his mouth and then see him re-swallow it (poor guy!). So we were prescribed Zantac for that. 

Secondly and most interestingly, my milk letdown is apparently massive, ha! So Cannon would be gulping so quickly and so much to try and get it all that he'd end up drowning a bit and unlatching so he could catch his breath. This only magnified the reflux issue, and then he'd only try doing that a few times before he got full enough and tired enough to stop eating. But then he was hungry every 30 minutes. 

So the solution! 

My doctor told me to pump a little out first to get that thin fore-milk out (since that shoots out faster and isn't as nutritionally dense, anyways). Once I've pumped all the fore-milk out and waited till it turns to the thicker hind-milk (about an ounce on each side), I breastfeed.

This is obviously a huge hassle because it involves both pumping AND nursing, aka tons of time and preparation just to get him some milk, but it's totally helping! He's not inhaling so much air so he's not as gassy/refluxy. And I won't have to do this pump + nurse routine forever, just for a bit until my milk regulates more and he gets a little stronger. (Who knows what "just a bit" really means though? Haha. Hopefully a couple weeks max...)

So now that I've been able to get normal newborn stretches of sleep (4ish hours at a time) and feeding doesn't come with this huge bout of anxiety, I've actually enjoyed these last two days with a brand new baby and a loving toddler! I'm able to just soak in their sweet interactions - mostly Lydia just smothering him in kisses - and appreciate these slow moments.

Hallelujah!

Flowers sent from the Dean at Michael's medical school - so thoughtful. ^^^

And thank you all for your messages, snaps, texts and calls. For about a week there I was a stressed out mess, and all your encouraging words meant so so much! 

Okay I've gotta run! Both my babies are miraculously sleeping (Lydia has been refusing naps lately) so I have like 5734 things to do!!! Dishes? Laundry? Shower? Oooh the exciting options. 

And ya I haven't worn makeup or done my hair for a solid 4 days. Oops. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Make my day! Leave a comment :)

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016