10/22/16

How to Kick a Toddler Cold

I am fairly liberal when it comes to medicine. My philosophy is why suffer if there's something that fixes it? Obviously with a 14-month-old I am way more cautious, which is why when Lydia had a cold for a few days I didn't do anything at first. But after four days of a runny nose and nonstop coughing sleepless nights (saddest thing ever), we took action! And literally over night 90% of her cold was gone, and by day two she was all back to normal. Yay medicine! Here's what we did: 

*Disclaimer: I am not claiming to be a doctor. Please don't sue me.

1. Humidifier & Snot Sucker

Bust the humidifier out during naps and at night. Also the Nosa Frida is hands down the grossest and best aspirator out there.

2. Baby Vapor Rub


I've actually used this stuff last year as well when Lydia was just a few months old. I like that it's normal ingredients (coconut oil, lavender, etc) so I didn't feel terrible putting it on a baby. I rub it on her chest and on her feet (and cover with socks) before bed, and sometimes if I'm feeling frisky I dab a tiiiiny bit under her nose. It noticeably helps her breathe better when I do that.

3. Hyland's 4Kids Cold 'n Cough Syrup


So a nurse friend of mine told me I could use child cough syrup as long as I gave Lydia half the amount of a two year old, since she's one. I scoured the medicine aisle for seriously 15 minutes before settling on this one. I like that it's for ages two and up (a lot are for six and up), and I like that Hyland's brand is known for being slightly more natural (I think?). I am SO GLAD I went with this one!! Of all the different things I tried, this made the immediate difference! I just halved the dosage for a two year old - I only ended up giving her like half a teaspoon or something - and after about 12 hours her cold was pretty much gone.  

4. Fancy and Expensive Oil I Got Talked Into at Sprouts 


Though I sound bitter I'm actually really glad I got this! I just put one drop into Lydia's bottle at night and she immediately got healthy (combined with the medicine above) and has stayed healthy! Apparently the Sprouts lady gives a drop or two to everyone in her family (cats included) every day during the winter. 

5. Infant Probiotic


Now that Lydia is one my doctor wants her to take a probiotic. Originally I bought gummy ones at Target but Lydia shockingly didn't like them. I went to Sprouts and this is supposedly a really good brand and it's awesome because it's a flavorless mix-in to drinks! So I just sprinkle it in her water. Any good toddler probiotics you guys are liking? I think this is great, just a little pricey. But I do know that brands make a huge difference in vitamins/probiotics since a lot of the cheaper brands don't even work! So I'm willing to pay a little more if it's actually doing something.

And honorable mention goes to Hyland's Tiny Cold Tablets


I also used these last winter with Lydia since she was too young for anything else. They may work? Haha who knows. I just felt a little better about myself giving her something than just listening a 5-month-old cough all night.

So those are the steps we took with Lydia that really made a difference! Like I was shocked how quickly she got better. Anything you would add to the list that has worked in your home?
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016