6/16/16

A Dress with a Meaning


This beautiful dress was made by Lydia's great great grandma!


My great grandma Ruth crocheted it for my paternal grandma back in 1944! Isn't it amazing?? So intricate and (shockingly) still in such great condition.


Top left - 1-year-old me!
Top right - My aunt Allison
Bottom left - My grandma Elaine
Bottom right - My aunt Heather



How special is that! So of course I was petrified that Lydia was going to ruin this dress, thankfully we walked away from church with unscathed ;).


I love the idea of family heirlooms and traditions. Those are the things that bond generations. For instance, my mom's dad passed away a few months before I was born (hence my middle name is James, after him), and now every year on James' birthday we hear my mom's stories about him and eat all his favorite foods. Ritz crackers, easy cheese, pepperoncinis, salami and butter pecan ice cream - ha! Clearly it's a really healthy tradition ;). But it keeps his story alive for us grandkids who never got to meet him! And this dress - how wonderful that Lydia's great great grandma, who she never met, spent hours creating something she can now wear. Thank you, Grandma Elaine for passing this along to us! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Make my day! Leave a comment :)

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016